Portland Limo Company - Blogging a limo startup

Confessions of a limo company. We are a startup and have a goal of being successful within one year. Can we make it? We think so. We have an all or nothing attitude. So watch us do very well, or implode in spectacular fashion!
Check out our limo community forums at www.limonster.com.

Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

Monday, January 29, 2007

Turning down customers.

It's funny. I have not created much buzz about the new limo service outside of the blog here. I'm not sure you can call this buzz. But it's been my only public place that I've been giving out information. Our website for the company is not up yet and there is no real contact information on the blog here. Yet there is a buzz happening. I've gotten a few calls already asking to accept reservations. So far I've been turning them down. To me no car equals no reservations. I am taking names and numbers though. I just find it interesting that there is such a high interest level already and I have not even tried to promote it yet.

In other news. We are joining the Oregon Trucking Association. We went looking for a DOT consultant. We posted on the Limos.com forums. Dean Schuler replied and directed us to Norm Littler of the American Bus Association. Norm is the man. He hooked us up by referring us to the OTA. Joining the OTA for us is only $260 per year. The assistance they offer is something that we were ready to pay thousands of dollars for to a consultant. They can help us to meet all of our federal regulations. Including hooking us up with companies that provide required services such as a random drug test program. Thanks Dean and Norm!

The last thing on my mind today is the fact that I can only find one quality limo community site in the USA. It's the Limos.com forums. I think they have an excellent forum there. I have found it to be very useful. It's a great forum. I've made around 30 posts and have not been flamed. I'm my forums that I run for the video game community flaming is a very common thing. I'm betting that the maturity level in the Limos.com forum is much higher. :)

With Limos.com being the only site in the US that I can find I'm left a little wanting for more choices. If I can't find what I'm looking for I may have to create it. I would consider myself to be a professional community builder. I have built many communities over the last 10 years. I see an opening here. I would prefer to find another good community and not build another one. But I can't seem to find any others. If any of you reading this know of any good community sites please do tell.

Cheers.

1 Comments:

Blogger New England 1 said...

Hi, This has little to do with your blog so far but it does concern the limo business.
I drive for a small company in New England (7 cars). I have not had professional chauffeur training and do not consider myself much more than a good courteous driver (person). The company I work for has signed on to a nationwide limo reservation company that farms out some work to us. In the past few weeks I have done several runs for this reservation company. Most of the runs have been for passengers that work for a well known world wide company. The passengers have been very good about tipping...sometimes $40 or $50 (they add the tips to the charge and sign the invoice). Problem is...the drivers do not get the tip money because the reservation company has a contract with this world wide client company that states certain fees per run which does not include the driver tips! So, though the passengers are thinking they are giving the driver tips, which they add on to the charge, there parent co. is not paying these tips due to the contract.
Veterans of the limo industry are probably aware of this sort of policy but many of us find out about it the hard way....that is after we do not get the tips we thought we were receiving.

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home